[XeTeX] M'aidez, SVP : ** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit specification.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Nov 3 14:25:38 CET 2013

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> The problem is simply that xdvipdfmx cannot handle these modern PDF
> versions.

But it can -- that is the crazy thing.  Set "V 5" in Dvipdfmx.cfg
and the file is included, with a superfluous warning :

	** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit
specification.

but try to avoid this with "V 6" or "V 7" and it then /really/ fails :

> ** WARNING ** Streams with DecodeParams not supported.
> ** WARNING ** Cannot parse cross-reference stream.
> ** WARNING ** Error while parsing PDF file.
> ** WARNING ** pdf: image inclusion failed for "./MS-1214.pdf".

and no file is included.

"M'aidez" v. "Aidez-moi" v. "Mayday" :  the OED has this to say --

> Etymology:  < French m'aidez or m'aider ‘help me!’ (the latter being
> either the imperative infinitive or short for venez m'aider ‘come and
> help me!’; < me , first person direct object pronoun + aider : see
> aid v.).

as a result of which many Britons (myself included, obviously) have
come to believe that "m'aidez" is correct in modern French (the OED,
on which reliance can usually be placed, does not suggest otherwise).

** Phil.