[XeTeX] babel

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:23:31 CEST 2012

2012/9/4 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> Language feature of a font.
>

> OK, now understood, but this does not address my concern
> regarding the countless extant fonts that do not have
> such a feature.  Would it not be better to postulate
> a solution that can be used with any extant font ?

My point is that if it were done in the font, it would be done once
and could be used not only in TeX but also in other programs as
Scribus, InDesign etc. If the font designer were a good typographer,
the spaces could be tuned to match the font. I think that Computer
Modern needs larger spaces than Times Roman and there are even more
condensed fonts. Thus the font designer could do it better. For me TeX
solution is for the case that the feature is not implemented in the
font. And it is good that it can be done in TeX. The ideal system
should allow users to switch between using font features and macros.
If the system offered inserting features dynamically without requiring
users to understand font internals, it would be even better.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/