[XeTeX] On an ugly hack to mathbf only in the local style.

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 00:16:59 CET 2012

2012/10/30 Michaël Cadilhac <michael at cadilhac.name>:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/10/30 Michaël Cadilhac <michael at cadilhac.name>:
>>> Hi there folks,
>
>> How about the following solution? I am writing it directly to the mail
>> without testing, I hope I won't make any error.
>>
>> \def\vec#1{\do at vec#1_\do at vec}
>> \def\do at vec#1_#2\do at vec{\ifcat$#2$\mathbf{#1}\else\vec at subscript#1_#2\vec at subscript\fi}
>> \def\vec at subscript#1_#2_\vec at subscript{\mathbf{#1}_{#2}}
>
> Zdeněk,
>
> Thanks for your input!  However, I also have vectors such as \vec{x^i_j} (or
> \vec{x_j^i}), and your solution does not seem to have a simple extension to
> those cases.  The original hack I had had the advantage that no syntactic
> manipulation had to be made on the argument, avoiding for sure those
> problems.  If we have to do this syntactically, I'll think about it some
> more.

If the vector is always one letter with optional
subscripts/superscript, a simpler solution can work:

\def\vec#1{\do at vec#1\do at vec}
\def\do at vec#1#2\do at vec{\ifcat$#2$\mathbf{#1}\else\mathbf{#1}#2\fi}

I am not sure whether math atoms will be properly recognised if the
second macro is defined just as

\def\do at vec#1#2\do at vec{\mathbf{#1}\ifcat$#2$\else#2\fi}

> Thanks again!
>
> M.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/