[XeTeX] Babel

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri May 4 17:11:32 CEST 2012

2012/5/4 John Was <john.was at ntlworld.com>:
> I'm not going to get involved in the polemics of this thread (which, as has
> been well pointed out, has tended towards the puerile), but I am a user of
> (so-called plain) XeTeX, so far without any strong incentive to move over to
> a LaTeX flavour of the program, and I do appreciate having the hyphenation
> algorithms immediately accessible so that I just need to type \latin,
> \greek, \russian, \irish or whatever to ensure good word-breaks (I despair
> of finding an English one which suits my preference for the old Hart's Rules
> conventions, so I have a rather gigantic exception \hyphenation list, which
> one day will no doubt hit the program's maximum).  In the early days of my
> transfer to XeTeX, I think someone said that these algorithms were supplied
> to XeTeX by Babel, so I very much hope that it does continue to be a feature
> of plain XeTeX at least, and don't see why anyone would want to prevent a
> member of the TeX community from enhancing and maintaining it if that's how
> the person wants to spend his time.  XeLaTeX users have a choice of
> alternatives, and polyglossia is clearly of enormous use in some contexts -
> I would happily learn it if a project came my way that would be difficult to
> realize without it.  But until then, I'm very happy with what's on offer in
> XeTeX, and I deplore the suggestion that modules should be abandoned,
> banned, etc. - especially when couched in the unpleasant terms that I've
> been reading in these emails.

Hyphenation algorithm is the integral part of the TeX engine. If you
want to switch to another language, you have to assign a proper value
to the \language register, set values of \lefthyphenmin and
\righthyphenmin and if non-english characters are set on the old
(La)TeX, you should also set \catcote, \lccode and \uccode of these
characters. Babel came with user friendly interface that allowed to
specify the language using a macro that is portable across
installations (US English is always \language 0 but if I install
Czech, Slovak and Hindi, in my TeX Hindi will be \language 3 while if
other person has Hindi, Sanskrit and Urdu, Hindi will be \language 1
but \hindi will do the same on both computers). Polyglossia is based
upon the same idea so that both packages can coexist in the same TeX
distributions, users may use both in XeLaTeX documents and the syntax
is very similar so that conversion of babel-based documents to
polyglossia-based ones is quite easy. What is not easy is emulation of
microtypographical features in XeTeX. Such emulation was described
before pdfTeX existed and PK fonts were used. It was based upon a perl
script that analysed the log file, then decided which lines should be
typeset with expanded or compressed fonts, modified the tfm files and
the source files, and if the paragraphs were optimized, created the
expanded and compressed fonts. It would be slightly easier in XeTeX
because font expansion can be given as a option in \fontspec (if I
remember the manual well) but still it is not as easy as in pdftex.

If you need anything else than US English and you consider Babel dead
and unusable, you can only use XeLaTeX+Polyglossia, you cannot even
use Luatex. Lua as a scripting languages offers to solve certain
problems in a better and easier way than it is done in nowadays Babel,
bu there is a question: should it be done in Babel, or in Polyglossia?
I think there is only one person who has the right to vote: the person
who volunteers to do it.

> John

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/