[XeTeX] Babel

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri May 4 16:43:37 CEST 2012

I'm not going to get involved in the polemics of this thread (which, as has been well pointed out, has tended towards the puerile), but I am a user of (so-called plain) XeTeX, so far without any strong incentive to move over to a LaTeX flavour of the program, and I do appreciate having the hyphenation algorithms immediately accessible so that I just need to type \latin, \greek, \russian, \irish or whatever to ensure good word-breaks (I despair of finding an English one which suits my preference for the old Hart's Rules conventions, so I have a rather gigantic exception \hyphenation list, which one day will no doubt hit the program's maximum).  In the early days of my transfer to XeTeX, I think someone said that these algorithms were supplied to XeTeX by Babel, so I very much hope that it does continue to be a feature of plain XeTeX at least, and don't see why anyone would want to prevent a member of the TeX community from enhancing and maintaining it if that's how the person wants to spend his time.  XeLaTeX users have a choice of alternatives, and polyglossia is clearly of enormous use in some contexts - I would happily learn it if a project came my way that would be difficult to realize without it.  But until then, I'm very happy with what's on offer in XeTeX, and I deplore the suggestion that modules should be abandoned, banned, etc. - especially when couched in the unpleasant terms that I've been reading in these emails.

John