[XeTeX] how do I embed fonts into a a xelatex generated pdf?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 03:33:11 CEST 2012

Hello,

Always be careful with pdf2ps. If one converts PS to PDF, information is lost - this is one of the reasons that the PDF file is usually smaller in size than the PS file. So it is technically not always possible to perfectly reconstruct a PS from a PDF. So be careful, especially if the material is to be printed professionally.

Some tips and tricks that I find useful:

- EPS has a built-in JPEG support. If you use the program "jepg2ps", the resulting EPS will be only marginally larger than the original JPEG file.
- Convert EPS to PDF with ps2pdf
- Use pdfcrop to cut off irrelevant whitespace from a PDF
- If you want to use matlab figures (or from a similar software), then saving the output as PS gives you some more control if you want to make a PDF - but at the expense of more work for you. Note that scilab (an open-source and free matlab-like software) has very poor support for EPS and PDF, but it is still workable.
- Use pdfpages.sty to manipulate external PDFs directly into your latex document
- Use pdftk if you want to do fancy things with a PDF file (merging, splitting, nup printing, etc)

Cheers,
Wilfred