[XeTeX] xetex can't find font

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at inm.mh-freiburg.de
Sat Mar 31 19:33:37 CEST 2012

Dear Khaled,

Am Samstag, den 31. März 2012 um 18:51:20 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> I highly suspect this is a xdvipdfmx issue, since the engine wouldn't
> need to real font at all. IIRC, old versions of (x)dvipdfmx had its own
> map file, so it might be that updmap(-sys) failed to update it for some
> reason. Running xdvipdfmx -v on the xdv file, will print the loaded map
> files in the first line, you can then check them and see if the font is
> there or not.

That helped a lot: xetex renders with the no-pdf switch.
xdvipdfmx -v reports it's looking in pdftex.map (without mentioning a
path) and gives the error.

There are two files named pdftex.map on my system:

/usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

The second is a symbolic link to a file named pdftex_dl14.map and both
don't contain the necessary maps. I appended the map file to the end
of both files and invoked texhash, but still no luck:

> orm at varese:~/work/texte/sonstiges$ xdvipdfmx -v test02.xdv
> <FONTMAP:pdftex.map><FONTMAP:cid-x.map>DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2012.03.31:1908
> test02.xdv -> test02.pdf
> [1<fssb8r at 55.79pt(TFM:fssb8r)(Encoding:8r.enc)
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 fssb8a.pfa
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for fssb8a.pfa.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>
> ** WARNING ** Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM "fssb8r".
> ** WARNING ** >> This font is mapped to a physical font "fssb8a.pfa".
> ** WARNING ** >> Please check if kpathsea library can find this font: fssb8a.pfa
> ** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for PDF output...
>
> Output file removed.
> orm at varese:~/work/texte/sonstiges$

The line in my map file referring to the font:

> fssb8r ScalaSans-Bold  "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <fssb8a.pfa

Did I miss something, or is texhash not updating properly for
xdvipdfmx and do I have to use another command?

Yours,
Orm