[XeTeX] Beamer and xelatex (or rather fontspec)

Nathan Sidoli nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Sun Jun 10 07:55:36 CEST 2012

It seems like fontspec and beamer don't play well together.

When I used fontspec in a beamer document, various things behave
strangely, like quotes and dashes.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or if there is some way to
resolve it.

I have included a minimal example, below.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Nathan

\documentclass{beamer}

%%
%% Comment out the next three lines to see changes
%%
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Brill}
\setsansfont{Brill}

\begin{document}

\frame
{
\frametitle{First frame}
“If we use unicode ‘curly’ quotes, we get the right output,” but not if
we use ``ASCII'' quote marks.

}

\frame
{
\frametitle{Second frame}
Without fontspec double n-dashes will be joined into one m-dash -- like
so -- but with fontspec, we have to use a unicode m-dash – viola. \\
\bigskip
None of the unicode glyphs show up when we comment out fontspec.
}

\end{document}