[XeTeX] Can't compile Chinese in Mountain Lion OS X

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Sun Jul 29 19:33:30 CEST 2012

On Jul 29, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Stephen Moye <stephenmoye at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Alan Hoenig <ezchinesey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good morning, Herb!
>>
>> Here is a very short file which illustrates the problem:
>>
>> %%% Start of test file
>> \def\testfonti{STKaiti}% a `large' font; 32493 characters
>> \def\testfontii{Kaiti SC Bold}% a `small' font; 8535 characters
>> \font\1 = "\testfonti" at 10pt
>> \font\2 = "\testfontii" at 10pt
>>
>> This is a test. One: {\1 仁} % Line A (calls large Chinese font)
>>
>> This is a test. Two: % {\2 仁} % Line B (calls small Chinese font)
>>
>> \bye
>> %%% End of test file
>
> I like STKaiti, but I am puzzled why Apple includes a font that cannot be embedded for print or preview. This is what Linotype Font Explorer Pro has to say:
>
> Embedding Rights: Preview & Print Embedding not Allowed
>
> Odd. I have meant to make mention of this in the past to see if anyone has any insights into this.
>
> I can confirm that your test file compiles nicely under TeXLive 2012.

Odder still is that, apparently, the embedding rights flag is not being honored. 'pdffonts' gives this from the PDF created by Alan's example:

13:03 ~% pdffonts /Users/smoye/Dropbox/TeX/HoenigChineseTest.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
IXSXWJ+CMR10                         Type 1C           yes yes no       4  0
AFBYXB+STKaiti                       CID TrueType      yes yes yes      6  0
VTDOUX+STKaiti-SC-Bold               CID TrueType      yes yes yes      8  0

Oh well.

Stephen