[XeTeX] Can't compile Chinese in Mountain Lion OS X

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Sun Jul 29 19:00:48 CEST 2012

On Jul 29, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Alan Hoenig <ezchinesey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning, Herb!
>
> Here is a very short file which illustrates the problem:
>
> %%% Start of test file
> \def\testfonti{STKaiti}% a `large' font; 32493 characters
> \def\testfontii{Kaiti SC Bold}% a `small' font; 8535 characters
> \font\1 = "\testfonti" at 10pt
> \font\2 = "\testfontii" at 10pt
>
> This is a test. One: {\1 仁} % Line A (calls large Chinese font)
>
> This is a test. Two: % {\2 仁} % Line B (calls small Chinese font)
>
> \bye
> %%% End of test file

I like STKaiti, but I am puzzled why Apple includes a font that cannot be embedded for print or preview. This is what Linotype Font Explorer Pro has to say:

Embedding Rights: Preview & Print Embedding not Allowed

Odd. I have meant to make mention of this in the past to see if anyone has any insights into this.

I can confirm that your test file compiles nicely under TeXLive 2012.

Stephen