[XeTeX] Help with XeTeX/ConTeXT and CTL

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:52:49 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yes; you need a semicolon to separate multiple features, not an ampersand.
> So try
> \font\krishnaalt="Krishna Tamil/GR:Classical=True;Pulli=Ring" at 12 pt
> and see if that works better.

Just for the record so someone may get it from the public archives
while searching for sth like this, Martin kindly advised me:

<quote>
The key thing in getting features to work in xetex is to use the
feature label not the feature id. You can get that info by running
gr2fonttest xyz.ttf which will list all the features, their names and
all the value names. For example in the test I got working I did the
following:

\font\krishnaalt="[Krishna Tamil 2.5.1 GrEnabled.ttf]/GR:Classical
Orthography=True;Shape of the pulli=Ring" at 12 pt
</quote>

... and it worked. Frankly I would have expected *both* to work, but
ah well. The XeTeX reference is rather silent on this and only vaguely
says:

<quote>
AAT font features and Graphite font features are specified by strings
within each font
rather than standardised tags. Therefore, even equivalent features
between different fonts
can have different names.
Example:
\font\gra="Charis SIL/GR:Small Caps=True" at 12pt
\gra This is the Graphite font Charis SIL with small caps.
</quote>

... but I suppose one can infer from the example that it is the label
and not the ID which is to be used...

Thanks all, esp Martin and Jonathan!

--
Shriramana Sharma