[XeTeX] Windows views XeTeX PDF with bad font size

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:36:20 CET 2012

2012/2/18  <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca>:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> If you're in a position to edit the font such that it has a 1000-unit em
>> square, this may resolve the incompatibility.
>
> It *is* a font with a non-1000-unit em, so that's probably the issue and
> editing the font is probably the right solution.  It bothers me, because
> non-1000 values ought to be supported, but even if I and this one user can
> change our software, I need the font (which I'm designing) to work for
> other users both generating and viewing documents, and I can't expect the
> whole world to change software versions when there's a large installed
> base of viewers and XeTeX versions that don't work with non-1000 values.
> --
I got similar problem with non-1000 em Devanagari font. It was
displayed properly in AR in Linux but was printed overlapped and in
wrong size. Ghostscript was not able to display PDF with such a font
and issued a fatal error. AR in Windows displayed the PDF with
overlapping characters. MS Word (probably 2003) in Windows 7 was able
to read this PDF and print it properly although the font was not
installed in that Windows machine, Word took it from the PDF file.

> Matthew Skala
> mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.
> http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/

Zdeněk Wagner