[XeTeX] [luatex] Info on direction primitives/implementation

Vafa Khalighi vkhalighi at icloud.com
Wed Dec 5 09:54:30 CET 2012

> At the moment, I'm looking specifically at what we need to worry about
> at a low level. For example, the current expl3 code does not take any
> notice of direction, which is probably right for something like \hbox:n
> (follow whatever is going on around it), but should be documented and
> deliberate, not just something we've ignored. So what's important at
> this stage is much more the concepts than trying to write any code,
> although any thoughts on what is required for RTL support at the 'base
> level' are of course welcome.

For the boxes in luatex you can change directions: \hbox dir TRT{...}

> What you say fits in with what I'd already suspected: for RTL work,
> we've be better only supporting one set of primitives, the Omega ones.

Yes, because if you want to typeset TeX--XeT, you will find that you have to patch a lot due to the limitaions/bugs of the engine which is wrong.

> For pdfTeX that's not an issue: I doubt very many people use pdfTeX for
> RTL.

Well, there are two groups of people. The first group use ArabTeX which does not make any use of TeX--XeT and it works with Knuth TeX too. The second group also are Hebrew and Arab users; some of them still use babel.
> XeTeX is a bit more 'interesting': I guess the existence of bidi
> means that people are using XeTeX for 'real life' RTL work, despite
> limitations.

Considering bidi has improved the situations and made things cleaner and simpler, yes.