[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Aug 7 10:23:01 CEST 2012

Hi Apostolos, Ulrike, All,

I agree TFMs are outdated, but for being backwards compatible the functionality
has to be in there.

From what I have so far understood about LuaTeX is that the font loader can handle
about all types of fonts running around, today. Even AAT-fonts.

In other words there is a possibility to  add ATSUI-functionality. If it is not there already.

LuaTeX handles utf-8 natively and has support for older encodings, so no problem there
either.

One has to keep in mind that LuaTeX is still evolving. The developers have taken a very good
approach:
	1) get LuaTeX-proper working
	2) add needed features
	3) preserve backwards compatibility

Missing features in the handling of eg. not so commonly used OT-features, is not necessarily
an oversight on their part. Just, like the missing language support in TeX.

So far, I do not see why LuaTeX can not have similar functionality as XeTeX. It will have a different
syntax. just as XeTeX is different than LaTeX.

To get there though one has to get involved.  The more involved the better the chance that packages
will be written so it is no longer needed to do the processing by hand. This is the TeX-way.

regards
	Keith.