[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 09:06:23 CEST 2012

> I understand you're concerned about future font support in LuaTeX, but
> technically the engine is little more than an extendable PDFTeX. Fonts
> follow that philosophy: TFM (with mapping to T1) fonts are supported
> as in PDFTeX, other formats must be loaded and processed by hand. Whether
> it's a good idea or not in that case I don't know, but it is definitely
> consistent. (Actually I do think it's a good idea, but I accept my
> opinion might be marginal.)

Using TFMs and related technologies seems to me quite outdated. Personally,
I want to be able to use any font my system includes without having to do
fancy transformations. This and XeTeX's capability to natively process
UTF-8 source files were the factors that made me abandon "good", (really)
old TeX. BTW, TeX itself is consistent too, but it is definitely outdated.

A.S.