[XeTeX] Difficulty with hypenation in Sanskrit with Devanagari

Neal Delmonico ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 22:06:17 CEST 2012

Greetings All,

I have been having trouble getting hyphenation to work for a specific
passage of Sanskrit in Devanagari.  It seems to work well with every other
passage I have been working on, but not this one.  It is ripe with long
compounds and such and the hyphenation program can't seem to break it up
very well, though sometimes it can. It is the opening piece of Ramanuja's
commentary on the Bhagavad-gita:

Here is my preamble:

\documentclass[10pt,titlepage,twoside]{book}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainfont{Charis SIL}
\newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=RomDev]{Sanskrit2003}
\newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit} #1\end{sanskrit}}}
\newcommand\skttranslit[1]{\begin{sanskrit}\fontspec{Charis
SIL}#1\end{sanskrit}}

I have attached two files: the source file and the resulting pdf.

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Neal