[XeTeX] Difficulty with hypenation in Sanskrit with Devanagari

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:00:44 CEST 2012

I am not sure, maybe the value of \doublehyphendemerits discourages to
hyphenate these long words. However, what I know for sure is that the
very first word of a paragraph can never be hyphenated. If you start a
paragraph with a long word, you have to precede it by \hspace{0pt} in
order to allow hyphenation.

2012/4/24 Neal Delmonico <ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net>:
> Greetings All,
>
> I have been having trouble getting hyphenation to work for a specific
> passage of Sanskrit in Devanagari.  It seems to work well with every other
> passage I have been working on, but not this one.  It is ripe with long
> compounds and such and the hyphenation program can't seem to break it up
> very well, though sometimes it can. It is the opening piece of Ramanuja's
> commentary on the Bhagavad-gita:
>
> Here is my preamble:
>
> \documentclass[10pt,titlepage,twoside]{book}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainfont{Charis SIL}
> \newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=RomDev]{Sanskrit2003}
> \newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit} #1\end{sanskrit}}}
> \newcommand\skttranslit[1]{\begin{sanskrit}\fontspec{Charis
> SIL}#1\end{sanskrit}}
>
> I have attached two files: the source file and the resulting pdf.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here and what I can do to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neal
>

> --