[XeTeX] Dinosaurs

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 13 12:24:25 CEST 2011

Dominik Wujastyk wrote :

> Ah, when one had to wear a suit to approach a computer

A friend of mine applied for a job at IBM (this some forty years
ago); having asked a number of questions relating to his
technical knowledge, the interviewer then asked the crucial
question on which his acceptance (or otherwise) would hang :

"And how many suits do you own, Mr L**** (apart from the
one that you are wearing, that is) ?"

Fortunately J*** (being far more sartorially aware than most
of his friends) was able to respond "three" (probably "three,
Sir", in those days) and was immediately offered the job.
He is still with IBM today !

Sounds like J** H****** to me ...

> Still, although risible by today's standards, I think we were all a bit
> envious.  (Which is the real point of computers, after all.)
>
> Does that ring a bell at all?

Hmm, not convinced (see below)

> I was put in mind of it because someone just posted to this discussion from
> their mobile phone.  I have an Android phone, which is Linux in my pocket.

If you look closely at the photographs I took yesterday (keyboard, monitor,
slide rules, etc), you will probably be able to make out two mobile
telephones : a Motorola Timeport (circa 1999) and a Nokia (circa
2001).  They both make and receive telephone calls, which is all
that I ask of a mobile 'phone; anything else better accomplished
by more appropriate devices (such as an OM4Ti, for taking photographs) !

** Phil.