[XeTeX] centering layout with geometry package

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Fri Nov 25 14:16:42 CET 2011

Hello Daniel,

I had a glance at the current geometry documentation. Unfortunately, to me it
looks like what you want is not implemented.

> > Quoting Daniel Greenhoe (dgreenhoe at gmail.com):
> >> Using the geometry package, is there any way to automatically (without
> >> using layouthoffset and layoutvoffset) to center a layout area on a
> >> physical page? The default seems for the layout to be pushed into the
> >> upper left corner of the physical page. Here is an example:
> >>
> >> \documentclass{book}
> >> \setlength{\parskip}{0mm}%
> >> \setlength{\parindent}{0mm}%
> >> \usepackage{geometry}
> >> \geometry{
> >>   xetex,truedimen,paper=a4paper,
> >>   centering,twoside=false,
> >>   ignoreall,
> >>   layoutheight=200mm,layoutwidth=100mm,
> >>   margin=10mm,
> >>   nomarginpar,noheadfoot,
> >>   showframe,showcrop
> >>   }
> >> \begin{document}%
> >> abc
> >> \end{document}%

There seems to be no way of asking for a centered layout area on the
physical page. Looks like you do have to set layouthoffset and
layoutvoffset manually.

Still my remark concerning having both "centering" and "margin=10mm" in the
options list holds true. They affect the same internal values, one
overwriting the other.

Hope that helps, at least a bit,

	Susan