[XeTeX] Character Variants

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Mar 28 10:13:22 CEST 2011

Am Sun, 27 Mar 2011 06:40:35 -0500 (CDT) schrieb
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca:

> If it's just a question of getting in the characters, which the font will
> then process by glyph substitution, it should work to simply include the
> desired characters literally in XeTeX's input.  I haven't tried that with
> variant selectors, but it works for me with private-use characters, even
> outside the Basic Multilingual Plane.  I tried to demonstrate in this
> message, only to discover when I attempted to send it, that my *email
> server* doesn't support the literal characters even if XeTeX, my editor,
> my keyboard config, and my email client all do.

You can enter literal characters in pure ASCII with the
^^^^-notation. Simply put the unicode code in small letters behind.

E.g. ^^^^20ac is the same as entering an euro sign.

Useful in mail messages. Avoids a lot of hassle with encodings.

--
Ulrike Fischer