[XeTeX] Character Variants

Bob Beckett sealbeam01 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 18:49:47 CEST 2011

Bob Beckett <sealbeam01 at ...> writes:

> Can anyone help me get XeTeX to create a character variant?
>
> I am using Kozuka Mincho Pr6N, which includes a variant of U+8FBB. This
> variant is obtained by combining 8FBB with the Ideographic Variation
Sequence
> E0100. (I hope I'm phrasing this correctly.)
>
> If I use the editor BabelPad, I can get the variant by typing:
>
> 	8FBB(Alt-x)E0100(Alt-x)
>
> But I don't know how to accomplish this in XeTeX. The fontspec manual says
> that it supports character variants, but gives no examples. Not being a
> computer person, I need a real example.
>
> Thanks

 Thanks for all the suggestions. I had high hopes that one of them would work.
Alas, ...

Here are the results.

Andy's suggestion:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
\fontspec{Kozuka Mincho Pr6N}辻
\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+expt}辻
\end{document}

Result:  This didn't work. It produced only the base character, not the
variant. I also tried +aalt and +salt. No go.

David's suggestion:

\char"8FBB\char"E0100

Result: Didn't work. It produced the base character, followed by a box with an
X in it.

I also copied the variant into the source, but that failed also.

Incidentally, Kozuka Mincho is freely available for Adobe Reader.