[XeTeX] Linux Libertine 5 serif too heavy

Rik amphiboly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:28:16 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-13 16:38, Sebastian Gerecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the new version 5 of the Linux Libertine font. I'm getting a way to
> heavy serif font. Could someone please check if this a problem with my setup
> or a real problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
>
> \documentclass[fontsize=12pt]{scrartcl}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> verylongword \it{verylongword} {\itshape verylongword}
>
> \end{document}

After a recent update I had the same problem, and the recommended
\usepackage{libertine} was not a good solution for me, since I have a
number of macros that rely on fontspec's addfontfeature.

The solution turned out to be very simple:

   \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,
                Ligatures=Common,
                Numbers=OldStyle,
                ItalicFont={* Italic},
                                     ]{Linux Libertine O}

That is, I explicitly called for the standard italic. This is on Windows
7 x64 (with MikTeX 2.9 32-bit, but that may not be relevant).

--
Rik