[XeTeX] Customizing footnote markers

Alessandro Ceschini alessandroceschini.it at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 18:25:59 CEST 2011

> To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the \makeatletter nonsense; it
> really
> isn't at the heart of your problem.  If you are getting an \hbox that
> is
> overfull
> by over 381pt (5.27"), the numbers have all but disappeared, and the
> text
> appears to be cut, then John Was's suggestion that an indentation of
> ten
> inches might not have been what you intended may well be the cause.

My source is frenchb.ldf!
Please take a look at this piece of code from frenchb.ldf dealing with
footnotes:

\newcommand*{\dotFFN}{.}
\newcommand*{\kernFFN}{\kern .5em}
\newdimen\parindentFFN
\parindentFFN=10in
\def\ftnISsymbol{\@fnsymbol\c at footnote}
\long\def\@makefntextFB#1{\ifx\thefootnote\ftnISsymbol
                            \@makefntextORI{#1}%
                          \else
                            \parindent=\parindentFFN
                            \rule\z@\footnotesep
                            \setbox\@tempboxa\hbox{\@thefnmark}%
                            \ifdim\wd\@tempboxa>\z@
                              \llap{\@thefnmark}\dotFFN\kernFFN
                            \fi #1
                          \fi}%
\AtBeginDocument{\@ifpackageloaded{bigfoot}{}%
                  {\ifdim\parindentFFN<10in
                   \else
                      \parindentFFN=\parindent
                      \ifdim\parindentFFN<1.5em\parindentFFN=1.5em\fi
                   \fi
                   \let\@makefntextORI\@makefntext
                   \long\def\@makefntext#1{%
                      \ifFBFrenchFootnotes