[XeTeX] alternate text for line-breaking

Bogdan Butnaru bogdanb+xetex at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:58:26 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 20:01, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:
> Am 13.01.2011 um 19:32 schrieb Bogdan Butnaru:
>> I’d like that to use for a (rather large) document that needs to be
>> adapted (and look good) for several different page sizes.
>
> Better get the preliminary version of microtype for XeTeX! XeTeX in TeX Live
> 2010 is able to perform micro-typography, the microtype package brings it to
> the user.
>
> http://xetex.tk/mediawiki/index.php/Microtype_package_(preliminary_version)

Hi Pete!

I’m not sure I understand, how would that help? If I understand
correctly the documentation around the link you gave me, it is only
protrusion that works with XeTeX. I’m pretty sure that’s much too
subtle for my case, since I get significant underful/overful amounts
in some cases.

(Actually, the document was made initially with pdflatex, and even
character expansion wasn’t enough, I had to add a bit of tracking in a
few spots.)

If you think I’m wrong (maybe the docs are not up to date or
something) let me know and I’ll try; I’m wary of trying to upgrade
XeTeX just for an experiment.

—Bogdan Butnaru