[XeTeX] tabular in footnote

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 12:50:17 CET 2011

Hi Dan,
first, as Keith wrote, as a reader I would not expect a table in a
footnote. If the table is important, why not to put it to the main
text? And if it is not important, why it is there at all? If it is of
less importance, it should rather appear in an apendix, not in a
footnote.

I am not such an expert. I tried to figure out how the page is
completed but I do not fully understand it. What is important to know
is that each box has 3 dimensions: height, depth and width. If tabular
is set, the resulting box has zero height. You can see it in my
example. You can also se a trick how I forced it to have nonzero
height but preserving the sum of the height + depth. The boxes are
treated differently depending whether they are inserted to the
vertical or horizontal list.

I am afraid that proper treatment of tables within footnotes will
require delving into the TeX page breaking algorithm and detailed
knowledge of LaTeX \output routine may also be needed. The LaTeX
\output is about 40 pages of code and I have never studied these
macros.