[XeTeX] Text output garbled after system update -- your ideas?

Arash Zeini arash.zeini at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:45:21 CEST 2011

On Monday 18 April 2011, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2011 07:32:40 Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> > Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:37:40 +0000 schrieb Kārlis Repsons:
> > > So the question is:
> > > if I choose to:
> > > * keep contents of a full TeXLive installation;
> > > * not link it's fonts for global use with fontconfig;
> > > * maintain my own folder of fonts,
> > > can it work without conflicts and is there a risk to loose some
> > > functionality?
> > 
> > Actually this sound like a good idea. xetex relies on fontconfig for
> > the font search. So if you remove the texmf trees from its
> > fontconfig configuration xetex will use only the system fonts.
> I set that up and except for one strange problem, which I resolved, worked
> seemingly all fine. The strange problem was this: with the old version of
> Linux Libertine (4.4.1) word "Pērse" was output well, but with the new
> 4.7.5 one it was output so that 'ē' gets printed right onto 'P' without
> counting P's width... Here is why for me the old versions of fonts will
> now matter and I set up a git VCS repository on that folder...

This is a known problem with the latest version of Linux Libertine. I 
understand that it was solved, but there has not been a new release of the 
font and so the bug has made it to some official repositories, in my case 
Debian. You can get rid of the layering problem by using the italics!

Hope this helps,


More information about the XeTeX mailing list