[XeTeX] Text output garbled after system update -- your ideas?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:27:58 CEST 2011

On Friday 15 April 2011 07:32:40 Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:37:40 +0000 schrieb Kārlis Repsons:
> > So the question is:
> > if I choose to:
> > * keep contents of a full TeXLive installation;
> > * not link it's fonts for global use with fontconfig;
> > * maintain my own folder of fonts,
> > can it work without conflicts and is there a risk to loose some
> > functionality?
>
> Actually this sound like a good idea. xetex relies on fontconfig for
> the font search. So if you remove the texmf trees from its
> fontconfig configuration xetex will use only the system fonts.

I set that up and except for one strange problem, which I resolved, worked
seemingly all fine. The strange problem was this: with the old version of Linux
Libertine (4.4.1) word "Pērse" was output well, but with the new 4.7.5 one it
was output so that 'ē' gets printed right onto 'P' without counting P's
width... Here is why for me the old versions of fonts will now matter and I
set up a git VCS repository on that folder...

Otherwise than that... Given I only intend using XeTeX, what could be missing
in the above mentioned setup? I mean, something important, that might show up
just later...

> You will perhaps have to copy some open type fonts from the texmf
> tree to your system font folder. E.g. the latin modern fonts and the
> open type math fonts.

Anyone knows some work, which has to tell about math output differences between
pdflatex and xelatex? Anyone has some particular math font(s) to advice for
copying? (math output works for me without that too..)

find -regextype posix-extended -regex ".*(m|M)ath.*\.otf$"
./opentype/public/xits/xits-math.otf
./opentype/public/Asana-Math/Asana-Math.otf

Maybe those?