[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Sep 27 20:44:08 CEST 2010

On 9/27/2010 11:23 AM, Barry MacKichan wrote:
>  Microsoft's recommendations on the UI of programs are only
> recommendations. If the task requires it, two windows are fine. This
> is what you would have if you previewed in Acrobat Reader anyway --
> two apps but also two windows.

Yes, they are, and moving away from that recommendation for anything
other than "things CANNOT be done unless we use two windows" is not
understanding the user experience that windows users expect =)

Seeing the preview in acrobat viewer is seeing two different
applications, with one window per application. This is fine, because
that's how applications should behave in the world of a windows user.
You shouldn't use *nix UI principles in windows in the same way that you
don't use windows UI principles in MacOS, etc.

> It's been a while, but my memory is that many of Adobe's apps, such as
> PhotoShop, have multiple windows, especially if you detach the
> palettes. If you recommend Unicode editors in xlshort, I think
> TeXWorks should be included.

These are still inside the master application window. You can move these
around, but they don't go "outside" the application frame, such as for
programs that have been complied for multiple operating systems without
using OS specific look-and-feel management, such as Gimp or Inkscape.

TeXWork should be recommended. But I wouldn't recommend it as main TeX
editor on windows just yet, because it refuses to behave like every
other application I use on it. That makes it a "good alternative if the
following editors aren't good enough for you :...." and then a list of
real "for windows" programs. I'll happily endorse it as primary editor
on MacOS, though, because there the styling matches the standard
application experience.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com