[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Sep 10 19:24:29 CEST 2010

On 9/10/2010 9:18 AM, Tobias Schoel wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> some remarks from a happily xelatex-using maths and physics teacher
> who has just finished university:
>
> When someone arrives at xelatex he has usually gone some way through
> the tex/latex world already. (Mostly latex, I think.) You can safely
> suppose that he has read and used:
>  - lshort
>  - one latex book (companion, texbook, ...)
>  - some further tutorials and package documentations he needed

Assumptions are bad science =)

I can't say I ever actually read lshort, for instance, and I personally
jumped straight into xelatex because the internet told me it was the
only unicode-aware flavour of TeX, making the choice ridiculously easy.
The only thing I used at the time to "get up to speed" as it were was
the wikibook on latex. and that stopped being useful relatively quickly
when I discovered big or long tables in latex were ridiculous to typeset
nicely.

If we end up writing good enough documentation, someone doesn't have to
arrive to xelatex "from" another flavour - they'll have been told to use
xelatex by their friends and colleagues already, so writing it now with
an eye to the future would be good policy.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans