[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 21:40:05 CEST 2010

On 10 Sep 2010, at 18:24, Michiel Kamermans wrote:
> <snip>
> If we end up writing good enough documentation, someone doesn't have to arrive to xelatex "from" another flavour - they'll have been told to use xelatex by their friends and colleagues already, so writing it now with an eye to the future would be good policy.

That's a very good point Mike. I quickly became discouraged with LaTeX because of the font and glyph mess more than once. So I'm hitting XeTeX with much more enthusiasm, and not too much prior  knowledge. I imagine that quite a few will, like me, be hitting XeLaTeX without too much experience in the traditional flavours.

Therefore the doco needs to show a new reader the shape of the whole, enough examples for getting confident, a mass of annotated references to the canonical earlier literature and detail of the differences. I have dug my 1986 printings of TeXbook and Lamport out of the box where they have long lain unmolested, ordered my LaTeX companion from Amazon and I'm up for it!  Some of the TeX Live doco is already excellent, particularly those that include their own source. I'm going to enjoy helping with this.

Elliott Roper
phone: +44 1663 747334
mobile +44 7796 171018
www.yrl.co.uk