[XeTeX] Beginner questions

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Oct 23 11:27:46 CEST 2010

Am 23.10.2010 um 10:53 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> 1. Is it possible to replace unicode by applemac encoding? What are
> the commands in this case?

If you want to continue typing in applemac input encoding you better
stay with the much more developed pdfTeX.  All packages work with
pdfTeX, and additionally you gain micro-typography. And: you can also
continue to use PostScript fonts.

> 2. If the main roman font is Frutiger® 55 Roman (Linotype Original
> names), I doubt that the system will find out that if the italic,
> bold and bold italic counterparts are Frutiger® 56 Italic, Frutiger®
> 65 Bold, Frutiger® 66 Bold Italic.
>
> The same font is sold by Adobe under the name Frutiger Std™ Roman,
> and Adobe says that other names of the font are:
>
> Postscript File Name: FrutigerLTStd-Roman
> MAC Menu Name: Frutiger LT Std 55 Roman
> Windows/PC Menu Name: Frutiger LT Std 55 Roman

The PostScript or Family name is the one by which XeTeX knows a font.

Beware of PostScript fonts! They don't come with the data that XeTeX
or LuaTeX need for typesetting. (OpenType and TrueType fonts are
recommended.) A PostScript font is for XeTeX or LuaTeX as useful as a
French car without gas for its owner or user.

--
Greetings

   Pete     === -Q