[XeTeX] (Xe)LaTeX output in a non-(Xe)LaTeX scholarly community

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 23 10:12:31 CEST 2010

OUP will normally be amenable if saving money is in prospect!  I think the
barrier here has always been the copy-editing process (now more vulnerable
since house style is not seen as so important and indeed there is no longer
any copy-editing department at OUP).  A critical edition will normally
require a rather small amount of copy-editing, though there is still the
introduction and commentary to consider - but if a TeX-savvy author is
willing to implement those copy-editing changes and suggestions s/he agrees
with, there is no real difficulty.  The copy-editor would then presumably
work by pen(cil) on a draft PDF printout in the traditional way (or by
annotating the PDF electronically, which can be tedious).

Or of course one can simply trust the author not to make any mistakes at
all, and forgo copy-editing.  Even twenty years ago this was mentioned as a
possibility at OUP but no one dared to do it in my time there.

But I hope this doesn't become too much of a trend or I'll have to look for
something else to do!  In the meantime, I must dust down my old brown OCT of
Hyperides...

John