[XeTeX] new use of alternate glyphs and how to turn them off

Nikos Platis nplatis at freemail.gr
Sat Oct 16 22:43:15 CEST 2010

If these are contextual alternates (you can try the option
Contextuals=NoAlternate for fontspec), then it seems that xetex
included in TL2010 uses them by default. I have noticed the same thing
using the latest Microsoft fonts (Candara etc.) for Greek texts -- and
it is not a matter of fontspec.

If this is indeed the case, I am not sure this behaviour is welcome:
first, this is not what used to happen before TL2010, so many
documents will now produce different results; and second, these forms
are actually "alternates" and should really not be the defaults!

Nikos Platis