[XeTeX] Greek XeLaTeX

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Wed Oct 13 16:38:15 CEST 2010

2010-10-12 11:25, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) skrev:
> In another forum, I have suggested that one way to permit this
> is to define an underlying (numeric) canonical representation
> (at the time, I was writing of CSS, but the idea is equally valid
> for TeX, or indeed for most other computer-related languages).

That would be living hell for anyone with dyscalculia!
While an underlying representation could of course be
verbal, the idea of needing a renderer is not attractive.
Indeed one of the advantages of *TeX is that you can view
it and work on it in a text editor. It's for a reason
that I'm not using WYSIWYG! The main disadvantage with
WYSIWYG is that you have to look somewhere else -- a
toolbar or the like -- to see the structural information,
and you can only see it for the elements enclosing the
cursor. But everybody here knows that, of course!

Personally I find it advantageous to have the markup
based on another language than the text, since then
text and markup stand out better from each other.
It's harder for me to *read* LaTeX source with
English text, not that I exactly enjoy reading any
marked-up text/source code without color highlighting!

In a way punctuation/symbol-based markup is the best
of both worlds, but markdown/wiki markup only gets you
so far.  If there were more symbolizations than a dozen
or two it would be too hard to remember and type them!

/bp