[XeTeX] Hyphenated, transliterated Sanskrit.

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Nov 22 14:23:43 CET 2010

> Debatable, I'm not sure :) Gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. Personally I don't mind breaks such as a-rhasi.

  Well, it's not only a matter of taste: in that case, it looked
incorrect to Dominik, to the point that he thought something was wrong
with his installation; which is somewhat problematic.

> I know many prefer ar-hasi, but there are some books where you would find a-rhasi. On page 189 of Gray's edition of Vāsavadattā (Delhi, 1962), for instance, I can see: ...nirmu-kta..., ...ku-ṭṭimam.

  As the author of the pattern file, it's obviously up to you to decide
which to choose if both solutions are used in books.

> So, for a start, I did exactly what Arthur described, I chose the easy way. But I can add rules allowing a break after the first consonant of a consonant cluster. If there are rules such as:
> a1
> r3h
> you should get ar-hasi rather than a-rhasi without having to modify hyphenmins.

  The one thing one shouldn't do would be to allow both options at the
same time.  *That* would be bad taste :-)  But if you're happy with
switching, I'm all for it.

	Arthur