[XeTeX] Hyphenated, transliterated Sanskrit.

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Nov 20 22:12:50 CET 2010

> I'm really not sure what I'm getting as a result. It looks as if it's roman
> script being hyphenated as if it were Devanagari. The initial a- of several
> words, like arhasi, gets separated (a-rhasi), which might just about look
> okay in Nagari, but not in romanisation. Am I actually getting the right
> thing

  You're indeed getting what the patterns say.  From what I read in
hyph-sa.tex, the patterns allow breaks after any vowel (but not inside
diphthongs), and forbids them before final consonants or consonant
clusters; and that's about it.  It's certainly a debatable choice, but
it does seem like the patterns really aim at mimicking the way (say)
Sanskrit written using Devanagari is hyphenated.  You would have to take
this up with Yves.

> Why do I have to pretend that this is Devanagari (\devanagarifont)?

  This is by design in polyglossia (see gloss-sanskrit.ldf).  You would
have to take this up with François.  (And I'm the one responsible for
integrating hyph-sa.tex into hyph-utf8.  Why does it seem like there is
a French mafia around Sanskrit support in XeTeX? ;-)

	Arthur