[XeTeX] polyglossia, makeidx: Missing control sequence \inaccessible

Taylor Venable taylor at metasyntax.net
Sun May 16 05:20:12 CEST 2010

Hello, I just updated my TeXlive 2009 installation the other day from CTAN
and am having a problem with some shortcut macros I was using to make
indexing easier.  I have a shortest working example attached as test.tex,
and the log file as well.  I've summarised the things which can and can't be
changed in the test file.  Essentially, if I have a \newcommand which
creates an index entry and specifies the output formatting of that entry,
while using Polyglossia, I get an error.  The error is:

! Missing control sequence inserted.
<inserted text>
                \inaccessible
l.7   \item {\ttfamily  \def r
                              m{tt}lambda}, \hyperpage{1}

Which originates from the .ind file produced by makeindex.  The error is
sort of an obvious problem: that \def should not be there!  :-)  If I remove
Polyglossia, it works.  If I remove the text before the index entry, it
works.  If I call \index directly rather than going through my \newcommand,
it works.  Since the most interesting piece of evidence seemed to be the
Polyglossia aspect, I tried checking out from Git an older version
(specifically, 1.1.0b: commit ae0df19e5759a01cf973) and placing the
polyglossia.sty and gloss-english.ldf into the current directory, and this
makes it work again.  This is my current workaround, since I've got a fairly
important document which relies on macros like \broken, but it's not
sustainable.  If I can provide further help tracking down the origin of
this, please let me know.  I'm using TeXlive 2009 fully updated as of today
on Linux x86_64, both Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks,

--
Taylor C. Venable
http://metasyntax.net/