[XeTeX] isolated Arabic letters in XeTeX

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Sat May 15 14:34:58 CEST 2010

Abdulrahman Al-Abdusalalm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After running the sample Arabic.tex through XeTeX (distro: TeXLive 2009
> under linux ubuntu)
> I got output pdf file with isolated arabic letters (i.e. ا ل ش ف ر ه)
> instead of connected ones.
> Am using the font Scheherazade.ttf (after ofcourse dropping to the correct
> place in TDS).
> I will appreciate any help ... thnks.

You need to tell XeTeX that to use Arabic script options in the font
table by using the option Script=Arabic in fontspec. If fontspec is
loaded, use:

\setmainfont[Script=Arabic]{Scheherazade}

if that's your main font. Because of different font technologies, Mac
users don't need to specify the script, but the rest of us do.

Gareth.