[XeTeX] [off-topic] xetex crash in Ubuntu 10.04

Vafa Khalighi vafakh84 at gmail.com
Sat May 8 11:47:47 CEST 2010

> due to the version of geometry included in TeXLive 2009, the following code
> crashes xetex when compiling it with Ubuntu 10.04:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[a4paper,truedimen,mag=1500]{geometry}
> \begin{document}
> Hi
> \end{document}

Hi. This does not crash on my machine (Ubuntu 10.4 and TeXLive 2009
installed directly (not from Ubuntu repository)).

> This bug should be included also in all Ubuntu versions that provide
> TeXLive 2009. I have already reported the bug almost a week ago (
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/texlive-base/+bug/573951), but I
> had no reply. I'm new to Ubuntu, but not to GNU/Linux. The fix, as described
> in my report, is simple: update the geometry version. I wonder why it takes
> so long.

Yes. Ubuntu has unfortunately put the experimental version of TeXLive 2009
in their repository and there are heaps of issues. One main thing is that
restricted write18 is enabled and that is dangerous, and the second main
issue is that it is not yet complete.

I recommend installing TeXlive directly.

--
Best wishes,
Vafa Khalighi