[XeTeX] Re : Page is "stuck" in A4 type

Maxim maxim.cournoyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:39:13 CET 2010

> From: Michiel Kamermans <pomax at nihongoresources.com>

Interesting. A test with xelatex for \documentclass[letterpaper]{article}
> also yields a PDF with A4 page dimensions... the geometry package, however,
> correctly sets page dimensions for letter:
>
> \documentclass[10pt]{article}
> \usepackage[paper=letterpaper]{geometry}
>
> - Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
> nihongoresources.com

This is an OK work around for the time being (although I'd rather understand
what are the internals involved). Thank you!

From: Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com>

> Try 'geometry' package. For example, add following lines into your
> document
> <code>
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry{letter,hmargin=2cm,vmargin=2cm}
> </code>
> See 'geometry' package documentation.
>
> N.B. In order to always get correct paper size use 'geometry' package.
> It could help you in most cases.
>
> --
>  No one goes to that restaurant anymore-it's always too crowded.
>  (attributed to Yogi Berra)

Thanks to you too!

From: Paul Isambert <zappathustra at free.fr>

> TeX distributions have a default paper size, which might be A4.
> This doesn't explain why \documentclass[lettersize]{article} doesn't work,
> but it explains at least (I hope) why Maxim's second example still yields an
> A4 page.
>
> Paul

I am pretty sure that my TeXLive distribution default paper type is letter.
I've written other documents with XeLaTeX before and the resulting papersize
would always be "letter" if not otherwise instructed. The current case is
the exception.

> From: Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com>
>
> ** Paul Isambert [2010-01-27 10:49:14 +0100]:
>
> > TeX distributions have a default paper size, which might be A4.
> > This doesn't explain why \documentclass[lettersize]{article} doesn't
> > work, but it explains at least (I hope) why Maxim's second example still
> > yields an A4 page.
> If I understand this correctly the 'letterpaper' option sets two special
> macros which are not passed to xelatex (or pdflatex) engine (in sense they
> don't know what this macros should do). The information about paper size
> is inserted into document in apropriate form by geometry
> package (with the help of \special command).

 XeLaTeX usually understands the paper type in the  \documentclass
declaration. I've tried setting a4paper in previous documents I had made and
it worked alright. I tested it with both the article and memoir classes. So
this seems to invalidate that there is a problem with XeLaTeX \documentclass
papertype parsing.

Maxim