[XeTeX] PDFBookmars bar closed by default?

Maxim maxim.cournoyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:49:35 CET 2010

> From: Wilfred van Rooijen <wvanrooijen at yahoo.com>

Well, in the manual the pdftoolbar option seems to deal with the TOOLBAR,
> not necessarily BOOKMARKS. Maybe section 3.5 of the hyperref manual is what
> you need (PDF-specific display options)?
>
> Cheers,
> Wilfred

You are right. It seems pdftoolbar has nothing to do with bookmarks, it
seems. My bad. However, I did try to use the bookmarksopen=false as in :

\usepackage[bookmarks,bookmarksopen=false]{hyperref}

This, on my setup, does nothing. The reason, is, I believe, that false is
the default, as stated in the section 3.5 of the hyperref manual. So by
default, if I understand correctly, the bookmarks menu should be closed? I
would hope so... but it's not the behavior I am observing.

My current workaround is to turn the bookmarks feature completely off by
using the "bookmarks=false" option. This is an acceptable solution for
simple and short documents, such as my *curriculum vitae* which only has
some pages. If some of you know how to truly make the bookmarks menu
disappear by default, while remaining accessible on demand, this would be
very appreciated!

Maxim