[XeTeX] Adobe Kepler Std: Extraneous space always inserted between left paren and f

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 21 09:55:51 CET 2010

Hello

I strongly suspect it's in the kerning table of the font since Adobe's
Minion Pro exhibits this to a small extent also (the visual effect isn't as
much as a full space, but the parentheses are definitely too far from the
adjacent character).  Perhaps something of a blindspot in whoever sets up
the kerinng of Adobe's font (in Minion the spacing round the apostrophe is
another flaw, rather worse than the parenthesis issue).  In view of the fact
that one isn't supposed to tinker with these commercial fonts, I've several
times asked if one might have a custom ligature option in XeTeX that could
be included in the font calls, so that just as one can say
'mapping=tex-text' one could say e.g. 'kerns=kernfile.KRN', the .KRN file
containing any extra tweaks to the kerning that one cares to add, so that
the font itself is left untouched.  This is possible in at least one
implementation of TeX, but not (yet) in XeTeX - I think a few people at
least said in the earlier thread that they would find it useful but I guess
it hasn't been seen as a high priority.  It is a nuisance, though, as you
say, if an otherwise attractive font becomes unusable.

Best

John