[XeTeX] get xetex to use best fonts

Lon H Mitchell lmitchell2 at vcu.edu
Thu Feb 11 17:05:29 CET 2010

Peter and Ulrike: Thanks for your suggestions.  Apparently the external
location feature disables the automatic selection of italic and bold
(and perhaps other things like optical sizes?), but I think for an
isolated (one-font) problem like mine that's a workable solution.

Ulrike:  I'm using MikTeX 2.8 and have no trouble using the type 1
mnsymbol fonts with pdflatex and the minionpro package.  Also, on
another computer where I have not installed the minionpro package, I
don't encounter the same issue, so I would agree that MikTeX is not at
fault, but rather the problem seems to be peculiar to having minionpro
installed.  In following the installation instructions

http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/minionpro/README

could adding

Map MinionPro.map

or something else be causing the trouble?

Thanks,

Lon