[XeTeX] get xetex to use best fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Feb 21 23:04:35 CET 2010

Am 11.02.2010 um 17:05 schrieb Lon H Mitchell:

> Peter and Ulrike: Thanks for your suggestions.  Apparently the
> external location feature disables the automatic selection of italic
> and bold (and perhaps other things like optical sizes?), but I think
> for an isolated (one-font) problem like mine that's a workable
> solution.

You could construct the font family yourself à la:

	\newfontfamily\cjkfont[ItalicFont=HiraKakuPro-
W3,ItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital},BoldItalicFont=HiraKakuPro-
W6,BoldItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital},BoldFont={HiraMinPro-W6}]
{HiraMinPro-W3}

just substitute the one font name definition with the other one. (Here
a special problem of the fonts is handled, that, that one font
contains two faces/variants.)

> Ulrike:  I'm using MikTeX 2.8 and have no trouble using the type 1
> mnsymbol fonts with pdflatex and the minionpro package.  Also, on
> another computer where I have not installed the minionpro package, I
> don't encounter the same issue, so I would agree that MikTeX is not
> at fault, but rather the problem seems to be peculiar to having
> minionpro installed.  In following the installation instructions
>
> http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/minionpro/README
>
> could adding
>
> Map MinionPro.map
>
> or something else be causing the trouble?

Could be. Xdvipdfmx is reading MAP files (dvipdfm.map). If it were
possible in MiKTeX to run xdvipdfmx separately you could invoke it
with -vvv option on the XDV file and whether font substitutions
happen. They're actually unlikely since the (La)TeX font names differ
from the real font names.

--
Greetings

   Pete

No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with
timetables.
				– Archie Goodwin