[XeTeX] Segmentation fault error in xdvipdfmx 0.7.8 with CharisSIL 4.106

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:27:27 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj at melroch.se> wrote:

> I suddenly get a Segmentation fault error in
> xdvipdfmx with CharisSIL 4.106.  It's been a
> couple of weeks since I last used CharisSIL in
> XeLaTeX, but I've not knowingly changed anything
> in my setup since, though the Ubuntu update
> manager may have...  It happens with all input
> using this font, however minimal.  I tried to
> reinstall the font and to install it at another
> location, to no avail.  I also checked that no
> older versions of the font are lurking around
> anywhere.

I'm not encountering problems with my docs
on ubuntu-9.10 (i686).   Is your OS (uname -m)  i686?
If you are running a 64-bit OS, are you using the i386-linux
or the 64-bit x86_64-linux binaries?

Can you post a minimal input file?  What
happens if you modify sample2e.tex to
use Charis-SIL?  I called it x-sample2e.tex,
which has:

\usepackage{xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont{Charis SIL}

in the output from dvipsfmx:

$ xdvipdfmx -E -vv x-sample2e.xdv
<FONTMAP:pdftex.map><FONTMAP:cid-x.map>DVI Comment:  XeTeX output
2010.02.01:1111
x-sample2e.xdv -> x-sample2e.pdf
<AGL:texglyphlist.txt>[1<CharisSIL(Charis
SIL:Regular)@20.66pt<NATIVE-FONTMAP:CharisSIL/H/65536/0/0>
fontmap: CharisSIL/H/65536/0/0 ->
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-sil-charis/CharisSILR.ttf(Identity-H)
[...]

> The output of various relevant commands, pruned to
> what I think is the relevant lines -- lines inside
> [... ...] were added by me by hand --, is as follows.
> Some of it is in Swedish, but that should cause no
> problem: "segmenteringsfel" is of course "segmentation fault"!
>
> /BP
>
> $xelatex errortest.tex
> [...snip...]
> [1] (./errortest.aux)Segmentation fault
>  )
> Error 35584 (driver return code) generating output;
> file errortest.pdf may not be valid.
> Transcript written on errortest.log.
> $xelatex -no-pdf errortest.tex
> [...no errors...]
> $ xdvipdfmx -E -vv errortest.xdv
> <FONTMAP:pdftex.map><FONTMAP:cid-x.map>DVI Comment:  XeTeX output
> 2010.02.01:0934
> errortest.xdv -> errortest.pdf
> <AGL:texglyphlist.txt>[1<CharisSIL(Charis
> SIL:Regular)@17.22ptSegmenteringsfel
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        9.04
> Codename:       jaunty
> $ xdvipdfmx -help
> This is xdvipdfmx-0.7.8 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
> $ xetex -version
> XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009)

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia