[XeTeX] Segmentation fault error in xdvipdfmx 0.7.8 with CharisSIL 4.106

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Mon Feb 1 10:16:22 CET 2010

I suddenly get a Segmentation fault error in
xdvipdfmx with CharisSIL 4.106.  It's been a
couple of weeks since I last used CharisSIL in
XeLaTeX, but I've not knowingly changed anything
in my setup since, though the Ubuntu update
manager may have...  It happens with all input
using this font, however minimal.  I tried to
reinstall the font and to install it at another
location, to no avail.  I also checked that no
older versions of the font are lurking around
anywhere.

The output of various relevant commands, pruned to
what I think is the relevant lines -- lines inside
[... ...] were added by me by hand --, is as follows.
Some of it is in Swedish, but that should cause no
problem: "segmenteringsfel" is of course "segmentation fault"!

/BP

$xelatex errortest.tex
[...snip...]
[1] (./errortest.aux)Segmentation fault
  )
Error 35584 (driver return code) generating output;
file errortest.pdf may not be valid.
Transcript written on errortest.log.
$xelatex -no-pdf errortest.tex
[...no errors...]
$ xdvipdfmx -E -vv errortest.xdv
<FONTMAP:pdftex.map><FONTMAP:cid-x.map>DVI Comment:  XeTeX output
2010.02.01:0934
errortest.xdv -> errortest.pdf
<AGL:texglyphlist.txt>[1<CharisSIL(Charis
SIL:Regular)@17.22ptSegmenteringsfel
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Release:	9.04
Codename:	jaunty
$ xdvipdfmx -help
This is xdvipdfmx-0.7.8 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
$ xetex -version
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009)