[XeTeX] embedding fonts

hh-brasil at bol.com.br hh-brasil at bol.com.br
Sat Aug 28 16:03:47 CEST 2010

It is the wish of the publisher that pdf-documents have their fonts embedded and
not only as a subset. This of course shows that they do not understand TeX (where a small
error does only need one extra run probably).

But nevertheless: the windows program freeFTP.exe does include the full fonts - where not  forbidden - if so configured (which is easy).

With regards
hh

Em 04/06/2010 03:34, Michiel Kamermans < pomax at nihongoresources.com > escreveu:
On 6/3/2010 8:37 AM, hh-brasil at bol.com.br wrote:
> Is there a way to ensure that adobe distiller or acrobat pro embed the full fonts in the pdf-document produced with xelatex. Or can you name any program which can do that.
> The printing houses insist on full fonts because that way they can (sometimes) correct errors (generally with the - expensive - pitstop program).
> But when I checked the pdf files gained with xelatex, only subsets were saved, which is not enough.

You may want to contact your printing house about the fact that they
apparently want to do things that your publisher should be doing,
instead, but that's a professional argument. (Personally, I would never
accept my printing house changing my publications; any errors in print
will be revealed in proof runs, and it is my and my publisher's
responsibility to review the proofs until we are satisfied that there
are no errors left in it before approving publication runs)

But, back to your problem: what you're looking for is Ghostscript. This
is a scripting language for manipulating ps and pdf files, and one of
the many, many things it can do is font embedding. Note that you can
only LEGALLY do this if the embedding policy indicated by the font
allows "editable" embedding (meaning the font may be embedded for the
purpose of editing the document, using that font), or "installable"
embedding (which means the font may be installed permanently on a
system, rather then being only temporarily available to the program
that's accessing the pdf file).

http://colinm.org/tips/latex should help you on your way. And while most
people actually want subsets turned on, you actually want to make sure
subsetting is turned off =)

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com