[XeTeX] How to specify Fontin Sans (has underscore in file names) with Fontspec?

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:21:42 CEST 2010

I have downloaded the free font Fontin Sans from Jos Buivenga’s exljbris
at <http://josbuivenga.demon.nl/fontinsans.html>.  Trouble is, the
small-caps style is provided as a separate font, so I need to use the
“[BoldFont = …, SmallCapsFont = …]” style.  Trouble with that is that
the file names have underscores, and the naïve invocation
	\setsansfont[
		UprightFont	= Fontin_Sans_R_45b,
		BoldFont	= Fontin_Sans_B_45b,
		ItalicFont	= Fontin_Sans_I_45b,
		BoldItalicFont	= Fontin_Sans_BI_45b,
		SmallCapsFont	= Fontin_Sans_SC_45b,
		Ligatures = TeX
		]{Fontin Sans}
fails miserably.

What I now have is a directory into which I have put hard links to the
Fontin Sans font files, under “nicer” names, so I can use the invocation
	\setsansfont[
		Path	= /home/chesky/font-links/ ,
		BoldFont	= *-B ,
		ItalicFont	= *-I ,
		BoldItalicFont	= *-BI ,
		SmallCapsFont	= *-SC ,
		Ligatures = TeX
		]{Fontin Sans}
which is ugly.

How do I get around this?  Is there an \makeunderscoreletter macro
available?  (Expl3?)

—Joel Salomon