[XeTeX] Need help with polyglossia gloss files for Japanese

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 08:20:12 CEST 2010

Hi all,

My progress so far: I found the gloss-template file and used it to make a file gloss-japaneseA for a language "japaneseA". I have used this name, because both "japanese" and "nihongo" already exist and I do not want to break those gloss files.

So far, I have set the proper names for chapters etc, mostly from gloss-nihongo.ldf. So far so good. But I get an error when I compile a test file. The test file is attached, as is the gloss-japaneseA.ldf file.

The error seems to come from the \def\japaneseA at font. Apparently, the computer thinks that something is defined and progresses, but apparently a non-existing font named '' is then used. I cannot really understand this loop so I hope someone can help me.

I've checked OTF tags. In the \def there is a question of a <script>font, a Script= OTF tag and a Language= OTF tag. For hiragana / katakana, the script tag is 'kana'; for CJK it is 'hani'. I am not sure which one is the best to use. I think 'kana' because a font with kana will likely also have the CJK characters, but a CJK-capable font may not have kana.

For language, Japanese is listed as 'JAN'. So that is what I have set. But the piece of code seems to be never executed :-))

I hope you can help me!
Wilfred

PS I will make a japaneseB also, with the more elaborate stuff in it from gloss-japanese.ldf.