[XeTeX] Greek hyphenation in xetex

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Apr 25 09:35:48 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:40:20PM -0400, David Perry wrote:
> On CTAN I find the package xetex-greek, which looks like what I
> should be using since I typeset everything with xe(la)tex.
>
> MiKTeX 2.7 provides some hyphenation options for Greek, including
> ancient (see screen shot attached).  I am guessing that these are
> older tools for plain LaTeX, not Xe(La)TeX, perhaps for use with
> Babel.  And, in fact, the log file for a recent document tells me
> that:
>
> Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
> nohyphenation, german, ngerman, german-x-2008-06-18,
> ngerman-x-2008-06-18, french, ancientgreek, latin, loaded.
>
> This is a bit of a puzzle since the preamble loads polyglossia, not babel.

Bebel hyphenation patters are loaded in the format, and polyglossia
actually use it. AFAIK, all TeX hyphenation patterns are now available
in UTF-8 encoding for Unicode aware TeX engines.

> Can somebody clarify this?  I've been doing Greek poetry recently
> but will be doing some prose and will need hyphenation.  And how do
> I activate the patterns in xetex-greek, if that's what I need
> (although perhaps I need to ask that on a MiKTeX list).

I don't typeset Greek (nor use polyglossia), but I guess all what you
need is to call polyglossia.

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer